September 7, 2011

Feed Me: Dr G's {AMAZING!} Best-Ever Tuna Salad

I know many design lovers out there read Canadian House & Home magazine, but sometimes I think we breeze through things like the food features. Well, I do. Normally. HOWEVER, when I saw a page featuring Dr G's Best-Ever Tuna Salad recipe in the July 2011 issue I stopped dead in my tracks. 

It meant something to me because this restaurant happens to be a few blocks from my house and this salad is so tasty I really can't rave enough! I was so excited that H&H managed to get the secret balsamic dressing recipe from Dr G and so lovingly shared with us readers. I've now made this throughout the summer and think you should try it if you a) eat tuna and b) like cobb or chopped-type salads....and the dressing is the best part, so c) you like balsamic dressing.

{mmm}

Here's the recipe from H&H:
{A healthy lunch from Toronto's Dr. Generosity. Serve a scoop of this tuna salad on a large plate with shredded aged cheddar, grated raw beets and carrots, grape tomatoes, a hard-boiled egg, alfalfa sprouts, bacon, and a side of this famous balsamic dressing.}
Ingredients:
Tuna Salad
2 cans solid white albacore tuna (water-packed), drained thoroughly
2 Granny Smith apples, finely diced and soaked in cold water and a little lemon juice (lemon juice adds flavour and keeps apples from turning brown)
1/2 cup celery, finely diced
1/2 cup chopped walnuts 
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tsp honey 
1/2 tsp white pepper
Balsamic Vinaigrette
1 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1/4 cup honey
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1-1/2 cups extra-virgin olive oil
1-1/2 cups canola oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 cup cold water
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp white pepper
Yield: 4 servings



* You will notice that the measurements for the dressing ingredients are large. I always make a half batch and have and plenty to drizzle on greens, and just about anything I can find, for days. 

* I usually substitute real garlic for garlic powder

* I also tend to use a bit less water, but you can adjust to your preference

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I would love to hear what YOU have to say....